Ruins of an ancient fortress have been discovered in downtown Tbilisi while rehabilitating the Pushkin street.
While digging the road on Pushkin street workers discovered parts of a fortress that was a key fence in defending the city. According to archaeologists, oldest layers date back to the AD 5th century and the latest to AD 12-18th centuries.
The fence is described in various historic sources, the oldest depiction appears on Vakhushti‘s map of Tbilisi (1735):
According to historians the wall was destroyed after the Russian Empire annexed Georgia in 19th century. At the moment the surrounding area is closed as the works continue, however Tbilisi City Hall plans to conserve the wall and open it for tourists.